Living without gluten, casein, soy, eggs and peanuts. Living with ASD and ADHD. Life is good!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Homemade Vegan Soy Free Mayonnaise


I'M SO EXCITED!!! I finally made mayonnaise that looks and tastes like the real thing! There are no eggs and no soy in this recipe, and it's very easy and cheap to make! Finally Megan can have mayonnaise again (she did not care for my previous incarnations). In fact, right now she's enjoying her first chicken salad for lunch in months. She even likes the mayo plain. I'm so excited that I even did a little victory dance in the kitchen. I was aiming for a flavor like Whole Food's 365 Canola Oil Mayonnaise (our favorite before we learned of Megan's egg allergy), and I came really darn close!

The recipe I really wanted to try was this one at Elana's Pantry, but I could not find Marcona Almonds anywhere. I also don't have a Vitamix and I was afraid the almonds would not grind to a paste in my food processor. So I settled for plain almond milk. I also tried using coconut milk and rice milk. All three versions worked great. The mayo is a creamy white and the thickness is just right!

Notes: I used a food processor to make this mayonnaise, but a blender would work just as well. I also used black pepper but substituting white pepper will take care of the little black specks in the mayo if you don't like them.

1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper

1 medium clove garlic
1/4 cup plain almond milk OR So Delicious Plain Coconut Milk OR plain unsweetened rice milk
generous 1 tbsp. lemon juice (OR vinegar, start with 1 tsp. and adjust to taste)
1 tsp. honey or agave nectar

1/2 cup canola oil

Mix the dry mustard through the pepper in a small bowl, set aside. Mince the garlic in the food processor. Add the almond milk, lemon juice honey and spice mixture and pulse to combine. The mixture should look slightly thickened at this point.

Scrape down the sides of the food processor. Turn the food processor back on and slowly add the canola oil in a thin stream. The mixture will immediately start to thicken. Turn off the food processor as soon as all of the canola oil is added, you don't want to over-mix the mayo. You may want to adjust the seasonings to your taste. Store in the refrigerator up to 4 days.



17 comments:

Corey and Bekah said...

Congratulations on your mayo success, Erin! I've tried a couple recipes myself and have not been happy with the results. This recipe looks great, but my son can't do nuts. Any suggestions on another milk that might work? Thanks!

~Bekah

P.S. I'm new to your blog (and such strict allergy cooking) but can already tell you'll be making our family meals much more enjoyable! :)

Ina said...

Erin - don't you love it when a recipe finally works! I struggled with gf cakes...finally did it - will post this week and send a link to your site with all of your lovely looking cakes! This mayonnaise is a great alternative, and healthier too! thanks for sharing, Ina

Erin said...

Hi Bekah, thanks for your comment! Try plain rice milk instead of the almond milk. You might want to increase the xanthan gum to 1/2 tsp. since the rice milk is thinner than almond milk. If your son can do coconut, try plain So Delicious Coconut Milk too, that would probably make it creamier and thicker than the rice milk (but keep the xanthan to 1/4 tsp.). My daughter can't do coconut, so I can't test that one for you! Let me know what you try and how it goes. Good luck!

Erin said...

Hi Ina, hooray for your cakes! I can't wait to see, and thanks for the link! :)

Corey and Bekah said...

Hi Erin, thanks for the suggestions. I just made a double batch of the mayo using coconut milk (no change to the xanthan gum), and it worked great! I didn't have any rice milk in the house today, but I'll try it with rice milk and more xanthan gum sometime too. I'm so excited to have a mayo that has the consistency and taste of real mayo!!

~Bekah

Erin said...

Hi Bekah, I'm so glad the coconut milk worked! Thanks for letting me know!

Nancy @ TheSensitivePantry said...

Wish I had read this an hour ago when I was assembling a dry BLT on GF bread. I'm so excited to try this. I haven't had anything even resembling mayo in over 2 years! Woo hoo!

Julie Tupper said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I was able to have a Tuna Fish and Tomato Sandwich tonight. So yummy! I missed that piece of summer! Now....can I get you to help me figure out how to replace the fried clams I miss so very much???? Haha! Don't do that...just joking. But having mayo again is going to open up tons of doors for S and I. Potato Salad!!! Oooooo!

Erin said...

Julie! You are so welcome! I always, always think of you and S. as well as my own family whenever I'm trying something new in the kitchen. I'm glad you like the mayo. :) And yes, I'm SO up for the challenge of fried clams...

allergy mama said...

Thank you for this recipe! This is the first mayo I have made that is worth making again. And again. I hope you don't mind, I shared the link on my blog.

Erin said...

Hi allergy mama, thanks for your comment - I'm glad you like the mayo. And I *always* appreciate links back to my recipes, thank you for giving me credit.

Trina said...

Thank you for your recipe. It is a calm reassurance that I am not the only one that has children with multiple allergies,(ie.wheat,corn, soy, egg,cow's milk,etc.)Thanks for helping me keep my kids happy.

Erin said...

Hi Trina, thanks for your comment - sometimes I feel like the only one who has children with multiple food allergies too!

Beckie Johnson said...

I would love to find a mayo recipe that I can have...yours sounds the closest, but in addition to being GF, dairy-free, and egg free, I also cannot have many herbs and spices, so can't have mustard, paprika (can't have nightshade veggies) garlic, or pepper. I am also allergic to olives, so need to use a different oil. Any suggestions?

Erin said...

Hi Beckie,
I use canola oil or sunflower oil. If you can tolerate shallot, use a teaspoon or two of diced shallot in place of the garlic. Can you have cayenne peppers? A dash of cayenne pepper might help in place of the mustard and black pepper. You will have to make it and taste it to see how you like it, but I think it can be done successfully without the mustard, garlic or pepper. If you try it let me know how it turns out!

Amber said...

Hi Erin,

I have yet to make a Mayo recipe and I am looking forward to trying this.
As Beckie Johnson stated above,
I can't have mustard or minced garlic either,however I can have garlic powder, so how much garlic powder would you recommend?? Do you think Chili powder can replace the mustard if so, how much? I just don't like Cayenne pepper

Thanks!!

Erin said...

Hi Amber, try 1/8 tsp. garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic.

Instead of mustard powder, try adding an extra teaspoon of lemon juice. Taste and ajust if needed.

I would not use chili powder or cayenne unless you want that specific taste, and it will also color the mayo.

I hope these recommendations work for you and that you like the mayo!